Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Black Cat on The Windowsill


Copyright © 2010 Rivkah Singh
Black Cat on The Windowsill
11 x 14
Acrylic on canvas
Private collection


Although this painting has already been sold, I was looking out this very same window the other day, when I began to think about the creative process involved in my paintings. It is rather like a function... Input output. Information gets "inputted" through my vision, it is then processed in my mind and outputted into a painting. This painting and the photograph it is based on, is a good example of what goes on in my mind during the "processing." As one can see, the image (in this case the photograph) has been almost completely changed. I added colors and patterns that do not exist in real life. It is said that the use of bright colors means that a person is happy. Hence, even though I would label this painting as a still life with a cat, in reality all of my paintings should be labeled "expressionism."

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I love how your mind processes things. It's really neat to see the photo you worked from next to the finished piece. Your painting is just so wonderful. The colors and patterns are fantastic. And the cat is too darn cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your wonderful comments! Kitty's name is "Lucky". We adopted him as a gift for my dad's b-day. He is doing great and has a new cat friend too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing better than a cat - except two cats! Or three or four or . . . ;)

    ReplyDelete